Our first baby argument!

Our first baby argument, and baby is not even here yet!

Let’s give you some background information before you decide to take Tomas’s side.

Ever since we knew we were pregnant I’ve been working on ‘The List’ of things I think we would find useful for the baby and for us. Things we need such as a cot, nappies, wet wipes etc From the very beginning I was certain that I wanted a ‘Breathing monitor’ a breathing monitor, or breathing alarm is a device that tracks your baby’s breathing while sleeping. Depending on what model you get they are either flat shields that goes under the mattress, a clip-on on the diaper or the one I had my eyes on, a sock to go on your baby’s foot, that also monitors movements, temperature, heart rate and of course, breathing. How amazing, right!

It’s a bit pricy, but something that I believe would increase the quality of our sleep. Take me as an example, I would even find myself staring at Pumpkin when she sleeps to make sure that she’s breathing, yes, Pumpkin is our cat.

Anyhow, Tomas made it clear after talking to his friends that he did not want to spend the extra money on a breathing alarm as it ‘doesn’t do anything’ And as much as I agree, yes, if your baby do have a heart problem from birth, there’s not much we can do about it. But, what if the baby chokes on something, is laying in an awkward position making it difficult to breath or runs a high temperature. That are things we for certain could do something about and wouldn’t you want to do everything in your power to keep your a bay safe? I mean, seatbelts weren’t mandatory when they came and in some places of the world they are still not mandatory, and many ignore them in the backseat, which I think is ridiculous considering how many lives this simple device has saved.

So, that is my argument getting a breathing alarm, if it’s available why not use it? And Tomas felt utterly disappointed when I ordered one after he said no, bare in mind that I ordered it using a voucher I had been given so it didn’t cost Tomas nor I any extra money, still, he was very upset!

Listen to our podcast when I reveal my latest purchase to him, while recording! You do not want to miss this! Listen: here

xx Maria

pilotmaria

Find me on: Web | Twitter | Facebook

Share:

6 Comments

1. October 15, 2020 / 10:13 am

No, you need to be more relax about your baby! A breathing alarm is useless and you should not put your trust about your babys health in gadgets. Super silly if you ask me unless the baby really have a breathing or heart problem.

2. Biff Narzilla
    October 15, 2020 / 12:42 pm

Do not worry your way through parenthood… especially in the beginning years. Saying that a “baby monitor” will make you sleep better is a fallacy… Resign yourself to the fact that, at least for the first two years, you won’t be getting much sleep – certainly not a “full eight hours” that you might be used to as a pilot.

3. Kay
    October 16, 2020 / 9:57 am

Hi Maria, I’ve got a three week old baby and got Owlet too despite knowing it’s a bit over the top. Both me and husband love it, it gives us peace of mind and we definitely sleep better! Don’t let anyone tell you what you need or not, it’s your baby and anything that makes your life easier is worth it! Even if it’s just for extra 10minutes of sleep.

4. Letizia
    October 16, 2020 / 1:02 pm

You should do whatever makes you feel calm and good!! You Will learn that many things that you thought were helpfull tools/things for a new parent are a waste of money and other things are the best things ever…and this is different for everyone as we are all different! So if this breathing alarm thing makes you feel better, it’s good you bought it! And only time and experience will tell if it was a waste of money or the opposite 😉 Good luck and enjoy the last part of your pregnancy!! 🤗

5. Sarah
    October 16, 2020 / 3:46 pm

My boyfriend found it useless too. I bought one when we moved our baby to his own room and thanks to it I was able to sleep well. Do not listen to anyone except you and act so you and your baby feel good 🙂

6. Joana Santos
    October 16, 2020 / 4:48 pm

I have a friend that had a gadget that would measure 24/7 the baby’s temperature. Result? She would go nuts when the temperature increased slightly! Sometimes to remove a layer or a blanket from the baby would resolve but she ended up giving lots of medication to the baby because she was worried.

I know is not the same but is just to give you an example on how we can go crazy over this kind of technology…

It is easier said than done but please relax. Your maternal instincts will guide you and Tomas over the next years.